Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ok, this heat is starting to get to me...

So, as some of you may know, Israel is HOT, and I don't mean like New England where we get that week or two in August where you can't breathe. No, it's been hot (in my opinion) since Mid-April. Now granted, my opinion of hot is a bit skewed compared to most people, and especially when compared to people from California and Israel. As I've explained to friends for years, my favorite riding (and living) temps for Spring, Summer and Fall are somewhere between 50F (10C) and 70F (21C) for pretty much anything. Heck, I thought my trip to Tuscon back in January with daily temps around 70F(21C) to be a bit warm. I'm happiest with a cool breeze, partly cloudy skies and crisp air. However, sadly, I have experienced a solid 15 minutes of this in Israel, I think it was the first night I was in Israel after my arrival.

So for me, when I was riding around Tel Aviv in Early March with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 70s F (Low 20s C), I was starting to feel the pressure, at that time you could leave the apartment at 10am and be fine, it wouldn't be that hot and you had to be a little concerned with the sun. Then in April, you tried to avoid the middle of the day, say, 11-2, and in May anything after 10am was getting a bit toasty. The ride I did with Ian, Idan and Brian a few weeks back was borderline dangerous because of the heat.

But now, as the summer rolls in and sun get's higher it's just getting absurd. Exemplified by my weekend trail ride with Cousin Eyal and his buddies in Rabin Park. First, I've got to say, the trails were great, super steep single track, berms, loose corners, rocks and a few fire road climbs. But the downsides: we were on the trail at 6:45 am, so I had to wake up at 5:30 am to be on time for my ride at 6:00am.

Why, the hell did we have to get to the trails so freaking early you ask? I'll tell you why, because after we got back to the cars around 9:30, the temperature was a staggering 92F (33 C), and it was ONLY 9:30 in the MOTHER F&*KING MORNING! I mean, c'mon dude, you've got to be kidding me, we haven't even hit the summer solstice yet.

(Check out the haze!)

Another example, is my commute this morning, that was some where around 82F (28C ), and that was cooled by a seabreeze (photoblog of my commute coming soon), but that's absurdly hot for 8:30 in the morning.

As a result of all this heat, aside from my continual complaining, is the heat is actually starting to give me "Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder," a rare condition felt by me many that get depressed from continual sunshine, warm temperatures, few clouds, and lack of rain in their day-to-day lives. All I can say is that I'm trying to cope with all this sunshine, by closing the blinds, cranking the air-conditioning and trying to imagine a cooler, more wooded place, like Northern Maine. Hopefully I'll get through this horrible sunshine-induced depression and come out the other side a stronger person, but for now all I really want is to pile on the layers, strap on my neoprenes and do a really cold bike ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment