Friday, December 3, 2010

Baystate day 1 Race Report

Aww yeah, I raced elite. It was great. Did you know that the elite race is insanely fast at the start? I sure didn't.

Oh, right so I decided to do the UCI race at Bay State because, well, I had the license, and I figured "why not, right?"

Anyhow, Jeremy Powers was there to win some small series title. If you don't know who Jeremy Powers is, all you need to know is that he gets paid to race his bicycle and races all over the world, so he is fast. While, I've raced all over, I'm in fact always losing money racing bikes, I think my total profit from bike racing is about negative $5,000. Needless to say I was excited.

Before the race I sat in the car with Tasha, because it was cold and we had a dance party, mostly of songs that sound like this:

So, I was rocking out, it was great, and then I went over to get my number, the person at registration said I was "a sandbagger" for doing cat 3 on Sunday and UCI on Saturday, little did she know I was reverse sandbagging.

A while later I got dressed, and rode the course and went to the start and stuff. I got called up by name, because this was a PRO-ASS bike race and I guess the UCI thinks we are all pros. But anyhow I started near-ish the back, which was fortunate, because I didn't want to be in the way of anybody who was faster than me.

When we got the whistle I sprinted and I hung out with Ryan and Colin, who were "freaking out" because we had to make a left hand turn of this cinder track. When we hit the run up I was still near people and I was SUPER EXCITED.

I ended up in a group with Adam Sullivan, Cary and Colin somehow and they decided to go fast. Also, since Colin had his sweet chain-stay cam on his bike, I wanted to get some sweet video time, like I did at Lowell, (skip forward to 8:19).

Baystate Cyclocross Day 1 Chainstay Cam from colin reuter on Vimeo.

(I am in the video from 1:40 until 3:12, then I get stuck behind fellow Union Alumnus Adam Sullivan for a while)



But after a couple of minutes on the back of this train, they went faster than my legs would allow, and it was time for my favorite thing: SOLO TIME TRIAL OFF THE BACK. But, as my friends informed me, "Steve you are beating people!" Alright, I'm not last!

Those people were some guy (Rodrigo) and RMM. After beating RMM at Lowell, I wanted to get him again. In order to achieve that I tried to lay it down, hard, for the next 25 minutes until RMM caught me, then I almost killed a spectator, and also caught some course tape, and the next thing I knew I was last, sweet.

So, I tried to just ride tempo and then I got lapped by Jeremy Powers at 42 minutes. It wasn't that bad though, because I was pulled on the same lap as a lot of other people. So, all things considered I am going to call my UCI debut a success, except for when I rode by Frances and she yelled "Steve, what are you doing in the elite race?" She is a good friend.

Last note: Amateur racers, I got lapped by Jeremy Powers, it wasn't that bad, I still had fun. So toughen up and upgrade.


1 comment:

  1. just because you can doesn't mean you should.

    ReplyDelete