Monday, December 6, 2010

How to ruin your race, NBX Day 1 Report

I think I've finally figured out the proper steps to totally ruin a bike race:
  1. Race in a category in which you do not belong
  2. Show up sick
  3. Get a good start position
  4. Ride your bike as hard as you can at the start
  5. Think it'd be a good idea to get in front of the people who can win the bike race
  6. Go to the front
  7. Go into the first corner way too fast and almost eat dirt
  8. Blow up spectacularly
For those of you who haven't seen it on the twitters:

So, basically, I went down to NBX, and all I really wanted to do was hang out with PVB in the back because, well crossresults.com said I would be close to him. On Friday, I was pretty excited about it:
But, when I got to the race, well, things changed. Because of UCI rules I wasn't staged in the back, like I should be, like I would be in a local race, instead, thanks to the random draw, I got third row, just behind the guys with UCI points.

When we got the whistle, I rode my bike pretty hard. I closed down a gap so that I wouldn't get gapped on the long straight-away up to the first turn.
(Starting in the middle, Photo by Peter Ozolins)

And then I saw some holes and I went past Al Donahue, and I found myself next to Adam Myerson and Derrick St. John. And then my brain went "I guess I better get to the front." So I got in front of Derrick and railed it. I was on the front of at UCI race, it was sweet.
(What now Mr. Keough? Photo by: Jay Walsh)

(On the front, why? photo by Jay Walsh)

Then I went into the first corner way to fast, almost came to a complete stop then tried to stay up there, only to blow up spectacularly and get spat out the back, seriously fast.

I was definitively last by the end of the opening loop. Then, I started coughing uncontrollably, stopped to get it out of the system and after 3-4 laps of a solo time trial off the back I dropped out.

Yeah, it was awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you noted the dripping sarcasm in my tweet. Thank you for never failing to do ridiculous things to amuse us Steven!

    ReplyDelete